Application and R&D Chemist-Lab Manager
Applications, Testing, R&D, Technical support, work at Santai Science Inc.
Location: Montréal, Canada
The Applications Chemist is responsible for the QC and testing steps, participate in the R&D and also involves pre- and post-technical sales support for Santai Science Inc. It also includes developing methods to promote, support sales primarily of Santai purification tools, instruments and columns.
This may involve collaboration work with universities, developing methods in our lab located in Montréal, Canada, and traveling to a dealers and customer sites to help with installation and training.
This position also provides guidance and support for scientific collaborators and events which result in the use and publication of Santai products in new markets and in new application areas. The Montreal applications lab works in coordination and collaboration with our applications lab in Changzhou, China.
Essential Job Duties:
• Develop purification testing, QC and new methods in our labs, with a variety of samples and columns employed, in order to evaluate and recommend Santai products suitable for the distributors and customer’s purpose and in line with marketing initiatives.
• Manage collaborations with academia and accounts to utilize our products in their projects. Define project, define support and then report results in a way that marketing can use to generate more sales and interest.
• Train customers and dealers, field reps and other co-workers on effective sample preparation techniques as well as on the use of Santai purification system platforms.
• Travel with local reps and international dealers also independent travel to customer accounts, supporting end-user evaluations and implementation of our solutions.
• Communicate with customers, dealers, field reps, and/or co-workers through phone, writing, and oral presentations, regarding applications work done by yourself as well as others.
• Take incoming calls on applications questions from 1-point or make follow-up calls for the reps as needed for any technical manners.
• Membership and participation in trade groups such as ACS, CPHI, AACC, Pittcon, Analitica, AOAC, etc., is encouraged to effectively network.
• Attend and represent Santai at key tradeshows, working the booth, presenting results and answering technical questions.
• Evaluate potential products and provide input for new product development.
• Assist our service and inside sales representatives as needed to prepare for field support at events and demos, including locating and packing accessories and purification systems.
• Collaborating on project teams, while maintain project tracking with current and planned milestones and collateral.
• May perform other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
• Analytical skills needed include strong knowledge of Flash and HPLC chromatography.
• Strong Chemistry background with experience in flash purification.
• Must understand prep chemistries and mechanisms including silica-based and polymer-based phases and cartridge processing, with use of various purification instruments.
• Must be able to prioritize work on a daily basis according to the needs of the Sales Support Manager to achieve both short term and long-term Commercial goals.
• Able to use PowerPoint, Word, and other programs to put results into posters and presentations, using Santai templates.
• Must speak clearly (English) and be able to communicate findings effectively to both small and large groups, in a professional manner.
• Must have a strong project driven work ethic and be able to occasionally work on weekends and evenings if deadlines are needed.
• Must be organized and have great attention to detail.
Education and Experience:
• A PhD in chemistry/chromatography with significant experience (advanced degree is preferred.)
• Must speak and write fluent English and French (Speak/Write mandarin is a bonus)
• Must be able to lift 60 pounds
• Must be able to stand for significant periods of time in a laboratory or tradeshow environment.
• Must be able to work with common lab chemicals and solvents
• Must be able to travel on plane and by car in US, Canada and abroad
Travel will vary as needed ~20 to 25% travel by air and/or driving is required. Mostly domestic, but some international travel may be necessary. Must be able to travel on weekends and work late when necessary.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.